Saturday, May 9, 2020

05-10-2020 HALL Wesleyan Church Message (John 14:1-14) - MOTHER'S DAY - Pastor Dan



Happy Mother's Day (To play video, just click on Pastor Dan's Face above)





05-10-2020 - HALL Wesleyan Church Message - Pastor Dan 

(To play video, just click in the middle of the screen above)


John 14:1-14 New Living Translation (NLT)
14:1 “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2 There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? 3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.”
5 “No, we don’t know, Lord,” Thomas said.
“We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
6 Jesus told him, 
I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. 
No one can come to the Father - except through me. 

7 If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!”
8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.”
9 Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me. 11 Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do.
12 “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. 13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. 14 Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!

CHANGES


What Types of Changes Are you Experiencing?
What Types of Changes Do You think Will Come Out of this Period of our lives?
Some changes take Years and Years to produce.
And Some are just over night! Like I mentioned in the Happy Mother’s Day Announcement: Southwestern Bell Made fortunes on Today – from all of the Phone Calls to our moms. And Today – all of the cell phone companies, they make fortunes every month from all of our cell phones, tablets, computers, hotspots and so on. It took the 60s and 70s to bring in long hair and it is making it come back just over night. I think I can braid mine now.

Companies such as Zoom and the new one out now from Google, only a few months ago, who would have need of them?
Yes, I just wonder – What will be The Next Item which has got its spark from this period of separation.

John 14:1-14

Let me kick off - Today’s Session with a HUGE-Worldly-Type of Question.
And I would like for you to ponder over it, kick it around yourself as we talk about it within Today’s lesson, and let us see what your answer will be.

SO, My Question for You Today is: What Do You – REALLY – Believe In?
There are so many things to believe in within this world. Did you know that there are over 4300 different types of formed Religions? 4300 Different Types of widely celebrated religions within our world! And that is NOT counting any of the mom and pop type of religions who just want to get a tax break on their income tax.
So, How do you Really Know that what you believe in is what you should be Believing In?

I mean – with 4300 Religions!!! Can’t Everybody Be RIGHT?!?!! Can WE Not Just believe in Our Own Type of God in his or her Own Way?
YOU KNOW - With ALL of these Choices, HOW can God REALLY Hold Us Accountable to WHAT we believe in?

BUT Does it REALLY matter what you believe In? AND – IF It Does – IS THAT – REALLY - FAIR?

I Mean, isn’t it just OK, that we JUST BELIEVE? IS THAT Not That We Are CALLED TO DO? Just Believe in something?????

I mean – ‘The Church’ – Who Really Needs It?
Is It Not Kind-of ‘Old Fashion’?

We Have ALL Heard This Type of Talk before!
You know - When I go to church, I don’t get anything from it, it is Just a Place Where there are a Bunch of Silly Rules. I Mean - Didn’t this All Go Out during the 50s and 60s. Who needs all of those hassles that comes with church - Anyway?  With all of that Talk about Money, ‘Tithes’, ‘No Gambling’, ‘No Drinking’, ‘Give your money to the Poor and to the Needy’.

I mean, I am a person and I am one of the needy – and No One helps me out. So, Why Should I help them?

Did You Know that John 14:Verse 6, is the Most Disputed Verse, the Most Questioned Verse, the Most Doubted / or Unclear Verse that is within the Entire Bible?!??!

6 Jesus told him,
“I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
No one can come to the Father except through Me.

REALLY?!!?

Tell me, - If God - is such a Loving God, will He ‘Actually’ send all of those who do not believe in the Trinity God, through that HUGE & GREAT LOVE that He has Will He – REALLY – Send all of those people to Hell?

Church just tries to control you.
They don’t want you out Drinking or Smoking and having Fun.
Hey, I just want some PEACE in my Life.
When I go to church, things in my Life just begin to fall apart!
Who needs all of that hassle?
I mean, Who can get close to God in the middle of all of that mess?

I can find God a whole lot better when I am out in the fields. 
Or in the mountains. Or at the beach. Or when I am out fishing. 
And it doesn’t have to be a Sunday either.

I am with my God whenever I look up into the sky.
When I look at the Rolling Hills.
And my God is in the Trees, and the Waves, and in the deer who run around.
Oh Yes, it is so PEACEFUL Where I go - To be with my God.

Have you ever heard your Friends or Neighbors talk this way?
Have you ever heard of Yourself talking this way?
Do any of these types of reflections - sound familiar?

I know - back about 20 to 25 years ago, I certainly heard myself saying some of those words.
And yet, If I was a betting man, I would have to say, that you too, have heard and Maybe, just Maybe You Too Have Said some of those same words as well.

Most Social-Analysts have shared with us of their findings that it is of this kind of ReligiousIndependenceType of Thinking which Has Just Flooded the contemporary-American-Society on or about this last turn of the century.

It is True that Almost Every American has had some period(s) within their own life when they were thinking that they can find God better on their own than within the church.

Finding God within the Nature, through the Interactions with other people, and Within the ‘Goodness’ of their life, and within their ‘Own Heart’ or Within their ‘Own Conscious’.

I do not know about you, but there is so much of this which really feels familiar within me. I am not proud of this but I can tell you that I went through a period in my life.

For me, it came after our children were grown and gone. It was a time when ‘church’ just turned out to be something that I did. I began to notice that I didn’t get anything from it any more. If I missed it or if I went, my life was untouched by it. And it was within this same period of time, that the world seemed very inviting to me. I began to think that I can find that same thing that I had in church, but now, It seemed to also be within the world.

AND looking back upon it now, tt was also when - all of my troubles within my Life swarmed in upon me just like bees on honey.

BUT AT THAT TIME - WITHIN ALL OF MY BLINDNESS, I Truly Thought, “WHO NEEDS THE CHURCH?”

Perhaps, some of you, have Never Even seen the Road Sign for that road which I was on.
Perhaps, some of you, not only saw that Road Sign but You were actually on that Same Road.
And Perhaps, some of you, saw that Road Sign, and You not only took that Turn, but you are still on that same Road.

But Regardless of What Road you thought you have been on: Have You ever Wondered Whether the church is really worth all of Your Effort? Have You ever Thought about whether You really need Your Bible? Have You ever Felt that you could find God on your own without Religion?
DID YOU KNOW, that Your LIFE is a Giant Lesson, BUT - The ONLY WAY in Which You can Learn from It Is by YOU Being Honest with Yourself.  That is Plain and Simple! IF You are not Honest, then how Can You Learn from it! So, I encourage you to Be Totally Honest!

Yes, we All Have Had – ‘Those Types of Thoughts or Feelings sometime within our lives. BUT - It is in Today’s Scripture when GOD Has something to say about those Types of ‘Thoughts’ or ‘Feelings.’ This week's Gospel, comes to us from Jesus' Farewell Address: It was the night of the Last Supper, and All of Jesus' disciples - knew that something was up.

You know how it is sometimes –
When the hair on your arms and on the back of your neck
Just seem to stand up on end?
And with every soft moment of the air, you can feel it?
Well that was how it was on that evening.
Everyone’s hair was on end and They were All on High Alert for ‘Something’.
They Didn’t know what - But it was for sure – Something was Going to Happen.
Jesus just told them that they knew that Jesus was going to be betrayed by someone!
“I tell you the truth, one of you will betray Me!” (John 13:21)


And that Jesus had plans to leave them.
“I will be with you only a little longer.” (John 13:33)

“When everything is ready,
I will come and get you,
So that you will always be with Me where I am.” (John 14:3)


But-The-Thing-Was, at this time, they may Have Not Yet Grasped the Understanding that Jesus was Actually Preparing to Die, but - They were anxious.
“Lord, where are you going?” (John 13:22)

“You can’t go with Me now, but you will follow Me later.” (John 13:36)

Trust in God, and Trust also in Me.” (John 14:1)


They Just Didn’t Know What to Think! You Know that Now - We have so much more of the full story however – And Yet – Do We Not Doubt?

How could God Possibly take Jesus away from them? It did not make any sense. How could God, - Our Heavenly Father, - Allow this to happen? How CAN He Be So Cruel? BUT - - THINK ABOUT IT!!! Jesus, - The Ever-Caring Man that HE IS! Jesus Tried to calm His friends' anxiety

“Don’t let your hearts be troubled.
Trust in God, and Trust also in Me.” (John 14:1)

Think About It Some!

Here is Jesus, A Man, who is so ANXIOUS about HIS OWN DEATH!

“Now Jesus was deeply troubled in His Spirit
and He exclaimed, “I tell you the Truth…” (John 13:21)

And Yet – Even within the Weight of His Own Worries, He is Comforting Others!!!

NOW – That There is a Loving and Caring God! How can Anyone - Not Love Someone Like That?

And here – it is so neat - We actually see a little Humanistic Side of Jesus.
Jesus assumes that His disciples know or understand where He is going. [John 14:2-4]

But it was the ‘Soon to be, Doubting Thomas’, who is the one – the one with enough Courage to speak up - and ask the very question that was on every disciple.

“But where are you going? And we do not know the way.” (John 14:5)

 Then Jesus answered them:
"I am the way, and the truth, and the life;
No one comes to the Father, but by Me” (John 14:6)

Tell me if you are thinking of the same, to be with Jesus, it would have been like living within a puzzle where every piece of that puzzle, is so Perfectly Cut and it Had Exactly the Same Pieces but with - Each Piece – Individually - Ever so Slightly, B E A Utifully Colored! Living as Jesus’ disciples was tough! You would, but at the same, you Would Never-Ever Get it Straight Answer from Him.

Jesus has laid it all out, everything that we need, HOWEVER – We still do not get things Right.

Philip said: "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied” (John 14:8)

But – Isn’t this like the questions which we ask: "Jesus - We want to know what God is really like.” “We want to know why there is so much suffering in the world.” “Why did You have to die?” “Why do we die?"

And Jesus looks at us so sadly as He Says:
"He who has seen Me has seen the Father ....” (John 14:9)
"The Words that I say to you I do not speak on My Own Authority;
but the Father who dwells in Me does His Works.
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me.” (John 14:10-11)
And Jesus said, "He who has seen Me has seen the Father ...” (John 14:9)


My friends, Right Here! We - perhaps Have The Deepest Insight Into the Christian Faith.

IF we want to Know Who God Is, IF we want to know what He Really Is Like, We already have our answer. The only answer is "Jesus Christ." Jesus shows us who God is. For Jesus is God.
This is the core Christian commitment:
Jesus is God.
Whatever Jesus Says,
Whatever Jesus Does,
It Is God Who Is Doing It.

SO - What is God Like? He is the kind of a God who Loves you and me so much, He loves us so much, That God died for us.

SO - What is God Like? He must Really Truly Love us, because - Jesus Most Certainly Did.

So – What Does God look Like? Whoever has seen Jesus hanging on the cross, has also seen the Father. God is so full of Love, that He would even die for us. We need to Look for Jesus, We need to Look within the Bible, To Truly Find Out – Just Who God Really Is.

I Hope (with a Capital H), I Hope and Pray that you caught the FULL THRUST of these questions and answers. Because, IF You Did, You now Know the WHY One Religion is not like any other.

See – IT DOES MATTER WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN. Many of the other religions of the world – They May Believe in God, BUT, because they Do Not Know Jesus, They really Do Not Know God.
And Because of that, They Do Not know Of His Great Love.

6 Jesus said,
No one can come to the Father except through Me.”

It is of No Accident, that all of the other religions within the world, NONE OF THEM, SPEAK of their ‘god’ or their ‘ultimate power’ with the Expression or Depth of Love which is in the One True God. None of them! Now – Isn’t that something?

So, what does this Really Mean? For one, The Trinity God is Unique and the evil one cannot imitate Him. But It Also Means that - all of those who follow the other religions, None-of-them know who God Really Is Nor-of-what Life is Truly All About. Yes - They may be trying. But they really do not know of God's Great Love. There Is No other religion, within the world, who talks about God's Love in the way that Christianity does.

SEE – IT Really Does Matter Who You Believe In because - if you do not believe in Jesus, You DO NOT Truly know of God.

BUT – There Is More To It - Than Just That!

“I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
No one can come to the Father except through Me.”

If you center your Christian beliefs upon Jesus and you Truly Know who God is because of Jesus, then you cannot find God just anywhere (without Jesus).  You Also Need Jesus Himself, His Bible, And His Church.

NOW - Do not get me wrong. I am not rejecting the idea that God is in the nature or out in the woods on Sunday morning. YES - He is there. BUT the Thing Is: IF that is the ONLY PLACE that you look for Him, then, I would have to say, that you do not know God. Of course, The Woods are B E A Utiful on a Nice Spring Day; And God - Really – Truly seems to be there in a Good and Loving way. BUT Yet - What about - when a forest fire hits? If that were all you had to go on, would God’s Love still seem to be as Strong? And – What kind of Prayers come from those who have just lived through a tornado? AND IF you found God within the Woods, your Home, or even in Your Church Building, and now, all of that is but gone, Would God’s Love Still feel as Strong? Or What IF you are a farmer, or a cattleman, or a goat or sheepherder, and IF you Find your Closeness with God within the land or your herds, TELL ME - What happens to Your Vision of God’s Love during a Devastation drought? Or a Hail Storm? Or when disease wipes out your entire herd?  

IF that is ALL of WHAT You Have as Your Closeness with God THEN, YOUR IMAGE IS NOT ONE OF LOVE BUT of Just His Beauty and NOT Upon His Love. And IF This is You, Then here is the tough question: JUST How far Away Is Your Image of Who God IS From All of the other 4299 religions within the world?

SEE - We can ONLY TRULY – REALLY KNOW Who God IS, By Us Coming to Jesus And Getting to Know of Who He Really Is and to Find Him within His Scriptures and Within His Church Body.

NOW - Do Not get me wrong.
I am most Certainly NOT SAYING: That you cannot find God merely by praying to Him while WE ARE IN SOLITUDE. No Not at All - Sometimes that is the Most Powerful of Prayers. HOWEVER - The Only Problem is that SOMETIMES, it just does not seem that God is answering our prayers.

Sometimes, we feel that we do not get the answers which we are asking for. And IF that is all we have to go on, IF that is all that we know of God, then it can seem that Our God is Not a very Loving God.

Yes! We only truly know who God is by and When our ‘Prayer-Life’ has been STRENGTHENED by looking to Jesus and to His Church.

NOW – Please – Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying that you cannot find God Within Our ‘Life Itself’. That couldn’t be further from the Truth. YES - There are those times when: Our Lives are Truly Blessed, AND - In No Way, does it seem, that it could get better. Yes – God has to be in the middle of it all. HOWEVER – What about those times when our Lives are not – Let us say – ‘That Sweet’?


SO - How about you?
            How Are You Doing?
How Are You Doing –
When You Get Knocked down by Life?

SEE – The Thing IS – IF – IF The ONLY  Thing that we know about God is how Life treated Us, IF That Was All, Then Tell Me, How would God seem to You. I would Bet – Not so Loving. AND - Am I Right?

SEE – It Really Does Matter in What You Believe IN. Or – I should Really Be Saying – In Whom you believe IN. It Really DOES Matter.

It Isn’t ENOUGH - to Merely say that “I Believe in God’! That’s Because – You Might Not Really KNOW WHO GOD IS!
JUST THINK ABOUT IT!!!
Is This Not PRECISELY What the Christian Faith is proclaiming? We DO – NOT Call ourselves "Godians". “Spelled: GOD – I A N S”. People who merely believe in God. NO - We are not "Godians."
BUT RATHER, WE Are CALLED BY YET ANOTHER NAME!!!
We Have Been Called to Be CHRISTIANS!!! Christians – Spelled: "CHRIST - I A N S"
That is IN the ‘WHOM’ We are called to be of.
It is In His Name – Jesus Christ – Who we proclaim. We are Christians! We are His People who Only Know of Who God is, because of Christ (Acts 11:26). It is ALL from Jesus. The Jesus - Whom we meet within the Bible and within the Body-of-the-Church. We have the Way - The Truth - And the Life! AMEN!